Post 475: Adrift

Stardate: 71007.1017
Title: Adrift
Author: Fox Margolis
Scene: Various, noted within
Time: Concurrent with "Angels in the Snow"

Fox never remembered feeling so lost.

She was not angry, nor depressed, nor sad. She didn't know what she was, and that sense of utter abandon confused her.

She had tried to return to duty, but seeing her so out of it, TC Blane had ordered her to take the afternoon off, with the promise that should she be needed at her station, he'd call her.

So, to add to her adrift feelings, Fox had nothing to do with herself. She wandered down the halls, into her quarters, out of her quarters, to the holodeck, and so forth around the ship. She was aimless.

The longer she drifted around, the more her confusion grew. Finally, she decided there was only one way to end it. She had to see him, speak to him, and figure this all out. And that meant going to one place: the brig.

With some purpose in mind, Fox found the nearest turbolift and headed toward the brig. On arrival, she was immediately met by N'Dura.

"TC and I thought you might come down here." N'Dura's comment was not meant to be an accusation of any kind; in fact, she was trying to sympathize and help the other officer.

"Can I speak with him?" The usual aplomb was missing from her voice and demeanor.

"I don't recommend it," the Chief of Security replied. She paused for a moment, and then added, "But go ahead."

Fox nodded and walked into the section of the brig where prisoners were held. As there was currently only one prisoner, and he had not been moved since her last visit there, Fox walked straight over to the cell and looked in.

Corbinsky was lying down again, only this time he seemed to have regained a slight measure of composure. Hearing movement, he turned and saw Fox. He sat up and smiled, and it was evident from the natural charm he now exuded, that something had improved his state of being, despite being locked up still.

"I knew you'd come back," he said, standing up, but staying on the far side of his cell.

"That makes one of us." Fox glanced away from him and just stared blankly away.

Corbinsky followed her gaze and saw her glancing listlessly at the console to his cell. "Now, now," he charmingly stated, "don't tease me unless you intend to let the force field down."

"What?" She then really looked at what she was staring at. Shaking her head and forcing herself to stay in tune with the conversation, she replied, "I don't know why, but I'd do it if I could."

"I know you would." He walked over to the edge of the cell, and despite the current running between them, they only stood centimeters apart.

"Why are you here?" she suddenly asked.

"To see you, Faustine." His answer, though straightforward, was not complete.

"No, I don't think so. If that were the whole truth, you'd have never bothered to speak with the Captain, on several occasions."

He chuckled softly. "Is that a note of jealously I hear?"

Fox started to get angry, but then laughed instead. "No. You're not her type."

"She and I are kindred spirits in many regards," he countered.

"And is that why you came here?" Fox pressed.

"No, I came to see you, Faustine," Corbinsky repeated.

"But once here, you stayed for her. Why? I don't understand."

"Despite what your crewmates think, I'm not some Machiavellian fiend deigning to destroy everything they hold dear."

"Then you're here to help us."

"Yes."

Fox now felt a little more focused. "How?"

"That's something you don't need to worry about."

"I'm not a little girl who needs your protecting." Now her anger was flaring a bit.

"Oh?" he said, a disdainful stance shielding the real answer.

"The more I know you, the more I'm glad that whatever we had ended months ago," she defiantly replied.

"Then why did you come to see me?" His voice was neutral, trying not invoke her wrath further or to upset her even more.

"You started all of this by coming to see me." There was something almost juvenile about her answer.

"I did," Corbinsky admitted, "but in the here and now, you're in control. So I ask again: why did you come to see me?"

She answered his question with another one of her own. "Are you enjoying tormenting me?"

"Quite the contrary. It pains me to see you so upset." He paused, walked away from her, and sat back down on the cot. "But at least I am seeing you."

"Yeah?" She turned suddenly, and pressed the console, which dropped the containment field around the cell. "Well, not anymore, so go away!"

Fox turned on her heel and marched out of the brig. Corbinsky, for his part, laid back down on the cot, and muttered to himself,

"If it were only that simple."

Faustine "Fox" Margolis
Operations Officer
USS Independence

Posts 201-565