Post 524: Without A Fuss

Stardate:71027.0000
Title: Without a Fuss
Author: Zanh Liis
Scene: Deck 8, Independence
Time: Following "Bright Shiny Objects"
==============

Zanh Liis came to a stop in the hallway outside Margolis' quarters. "Computer, locate Dabin Reece."

>Dabin Reece is in the personal quarters of February Grace.>

*I just bet he is.* Zanh smirked, shaking her head. *Well, they're going to have to come up for air, this can't wait any longer.* She tapped her badge. "Zanh to Reece,"

[Go ahead.]

"I need to speak with you. I'm nearby, may I stop in?"

[Please do. I need to speak with you as well.]

Zanh stood at Grace's door a moment later, and the young Lieutenant shyly invited her in. "Captain. May I offer you something?"

"A cup of coffee would be great, thank you." Zanh looked up as Reece came in from the other room, carrying February's cat over his shoulder like an infant. She laughed.

"Well don't you look all domesticated, my little speckled pup." Her nickname for him referred to the habit Reece had always had of nipping at her heels and yammering like a small dog. "But you also look healthy, and from what I hear that's good news."

"It is, Captain." February handed a cup to Zanh. "Please, won't you sit down?"

Zanh took a seat. "Have either of you spoken to Lily T'Ana since your return?"

"No," February appeared suddenly on edge. "Why?"

Zanh hesitated. "Perhaps we should speak alone, Reece."

"No," he took February's hand and the pair sat down on the couch opposite Zanh. "Anything you need to say to me you can say in front of February, Captain."

"I need to ask you a question. Would you be willing to step into the role of Chief of Sciences, even if it were only temporary?"

"What about T'Ana?"

"She's decided to leave Starfleet. At least for awhile."

"Are you certain?" February interjected, "that doesn't sound like Lily to me."

"I'm entirely certain. I asked her to think it over, but she insisted this is what she wants. Which is fine, but leaves me with a gap in our chain of command. So I'm asking you, Reece. You've got the experience I need for the position, will you take it on? I would consider it a personal favor if you did."

"Crinkles," Reece grinned at her, "no need to consider it a favor. I still owe you big for letting me stay aboard this boat. Any way I can serve for the good of the ship, I'll serve."

"Good. You'll be needing this, then." Zanh set her cup down on the coffee table and reached into the small bag she had over her shoulder. She pulled out yet another small black box. Reece's eyebrows shot upward.

"They made me demote you," She explained softly, rotating the box in her hands, "But they didn't say I couldn't promote you again if you took on more responsibility aboard this ship." She handed him the box. "I know it's the wrong color, Dabin. Just put up with it for awhile, okay? As soon as things blow over a bit, we'll get the third gold one back up on your collar where it belongs. I promise you."

Reece didn't know what to say to that. So, he merely lowered his eyes in thanks.

"Get yourself cleared for duty and I'll see you in the senior staff meeting first thing tomorrow morning." Zanh hurried to gulp down the coffee in her cup. "Thanks, I needed that. Oh! I almost forgot. Grace. I would like you to set up some sims of the Indy bridge, and give Biggs some private flying lessons. Think you can find the time?"

"Sure, Captain. I'd be happy to."

"Thank you, Bubbles. I'll see you two on the bridge." She moved to stand, but Reece stopped her, putting his hand over hers.

"If you have one more moment to spare, Zanh Liis?"

Zanh was intrigued- so rarely did he address her by her proper name. She noticed a look exchanged between Grace and Reece, and knew something big was up. "Sure. What is it?"

"While we were on Yensul V. . ."

"Yeah?"

"Well, we sort of. . ."

"What?"

"I mean,"

"Reece, I do not have all day. Spit it out, man."

"We got married." February blurted.

Zanh's mouth actually fell open and stayed there. "I'm sorry," she shook her head as if to clear it. "Could you say that again?"

"We asked Salvek to perform a quick ceremony for us, and we got married." Grace repeated.

"Whoa. Really?"

"Cha." Reece confirmed, grinning from ear to ear.

"Congratulations. I suppose you want to do the thing up right now that you're home? Big to do, fancy dresses, tuxedos, the works?" Zanh frowned. She'd never performed a wedding yet- and didn't know how she'd do at it.

"No!" Both Trills exclaimed in stereo.

"If it's all the same to you, Captain we'd really rather keep this under wraps for now." Bru continued. "We're happy without all the fuss. This is something we did for the two of us, not for show. We don't need the big party to make it official."

"That's fine with me, I never was one for big weddings."

"Are you sorry you didn't get to do it yourself?" Reece teased. "You want to make us say the vows again in front of you for the record?"

"Nah. You know the sentimental stuff is not my department." Zanh waved her hand. "Salvek was leading the Alchemy, that means that he had the power to perform the marriage. As far as I'm concerned, that's all I need to know. I just wish I could've seen Logic in action."

"Oh, it was a thing of beauty and as such, a joy forever." Dabin laughed. He did his best Salvek impression. "Do you? Do you? The Federation now recognizes that you are married. Back to work."

"Sounds about right." Liis roared. "Perfect."

"It was, and thank you, Captain." February's cheeks turned red. "We appreciate your discretion in this matter."

"Just do me a favor and make me a cheat sheet of who knows about this and who doesn't, so I know who I can discuss it with if need be."

"Will do." Reece promised. "I'd like, at some point, to take my wife," he paused, "On a honeymoon of some sort."

"Well, why don't we just extend your 'medical' leave a few days." Zanh offered. "We can get by without you in Science for a little while. I know it's not the honeymoon suite on Risa, but," Zanh smiled, knowing somehow that they didn't care.

"Thank you, Captain." Dabin reached out and took Zanh's hand, enclosing it in both of his and giving a squeeze. He'd known her a long time, and he knew that as surprised as she was by the speed with which his relationship with February had come to this point, she really was pleased for him.

The Captain rose to leave, smiling back at them from the doorway. "I'm really happy for you. For both of you."

She proceeded down the hall in a daze, still processing this information as she absentmindedly stepped into the turbolift and slammed right into the next person she wanted to see.

"Captain!" Blane remarked, stepping back. "Are you all right? I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention."

"I'm sorry, neither was I." She knew why she was distracted- but she wondered why Blane was.

He looked a little pale to her, tired, as if he hadn't slept well. He looked, if she'd had to put a label on his expression, haunted by something. "Are you all right?"

"I'm fine."

"Hmm." She wasn't buying, but for the moment she decided to leave him be. "If there's anything on your mind, you know where to find me."

"Thank you." He was still holding the lift door open, and his eyes inquired if she were going to get on.

"Oh, yes, thank you." She stepped in, and the doors closed. "Bridge." She turned to him, and started to say something, then stopped.

He questioned her with another glance, then they repeated this procedure of starting to speak, stopping and staring twice more, and finally she just reached into the bag, and pulled out the black pip.

"Hold still, please."

"What?"

"Hold still, Lt. Commander." Zanh replied, and without any more of an announcement or fuss than that, she pinned the black pip up next to his two gold ones, and smiled at him.

"Congratulations, Thomas. You're a credit to this ship, and this crew."

---------------------------------------------
=/\= Zanh Liis
Acting CO
USS Independence NCC-90791

Posts 201-565