Post 536: Hairspray and Short Skirts

Stardate: 71031.2030
Title: Hairspray and Short Skirts
Author: Lair Kellyn
Scene: Quarters/Seven
Time: Just about time for the party to begin. . .
------------------------------------------------------------

"But why can't I go to the party too, Oko-mekh?"

Lair Arie was on a sugar high, cranky, and already dressed in her pajamas for bed. Her hair was damp and smelled clean, and Kellyn kissed her on the top of her head gently, as she tied the belt of her robe into a bow.

"Because, this is a grown up party, Arie. For the officers and crew. Besides, you already had your celebration at school today, I heard that someone mysterious even stopped by to bring treats for the children." She watched as Arie spun in circles until she got dizzy, definitely wound up from the candy she had consumed.

"Yes, a tall man in a very dark mask," Arie said soberly. "With a very long cape!"

"So, you see, you've already had your party. Where is your father? It's time to go, or we're going to be late. Salvek!" Kellyn called, knocking on the door to the bathroom. "It's not like you to run behind, need any help in there?"

"I am having difficulty achieving the desired configuration for my hair style." Salvek announced, flinging the door open. He tried as hard as he could, but he was having a difficult time battling his cowlick in order to get his bangs to lay perfectly flat against his forehead. "It will not stay."

"Here, close your eyes." Kellyn picked up a canister of hair spray and began to spray, even as Salvek objected that the smell of the spray was offensive, and got a mouthful of the product for his trouble. He opened and closed his mouth several times, as if trying to dismiss the taste.

"I meant to say close your mouth, too."

"You did not."

"No, I did not. Apologies." She tried to stifle a laugh at his expression. "But if you think that one blast was bad, you should know I used about half a can to hold up my own hairdo for tonight. I may never smell anything else as long as I live. And these pantyhose-"

"Your sacrifices for the good of the crew are duly noted, Lt. Commander Lair."

"Thank you, Commander Salvek." Kellyn kissed his cheek, and pulled at the hem on her skirt. She wondered if it was really as short as she felt it was- or if her imagination made it seem worse than it actually was. She was unaccustomed to wearing dresses often- let alone dresses that were cut well above the knee. "C'mon, Mr. Vulcan. Let's go."

"Osa-mekh, why can I not come?" Arie pouted. "I want to go, too."

"I will bring you a treat from the party, Arie. Now behave for Ensign Stabler, and go to bed on time all right? It is a school night." Salvek instructed her gently.

Kellyn shook her head as they walked out into the hall. "A treat from the party? Boy, are you going soft."

"I most certainly am no-" Salvek began to object, then he noticed Arie waving at them from the doorway as Ensign Stabler tried to interest her in a bedtime story. He discovered that he was, without thinking, waving back to her. "Perhaps, I am."

Seeing the condition of the women and children on the fifth planet of Yensul, on top of all he'd experienced during the natural disaster on Bajor, had made him much more conscious of how much his family really meant to him.

"After where we've just been, I can understand that." She echoed his thoughts with her words. "So, do you have any idea what everyone else is going as?" Kellyn asked, as she and Salvek made their way into the lift and towards Seven.

"No. In fact, I have only been informed that the Captain did not want to wear a costume at all."

"Neither did you."

"Indeed. But the morale of the crew is very important."

"You're taking one for the team? Needs of the many?"

"Yes." he nodded slowly. "I am certain that Captain Zanh will do so as well."

"I guess we'll find out soon."

The lift whirred on, and Salvek looked at Lair out of the corner of his eye, unused to seeing her in such attire. "I must say, that dress definitely emphasizes the length of your legs, my wife."

Kellyn looked down. "I knew it, it's too much. I should go back and replicate something else, shouldn't I?"

"I did not say," Salvek added, "That I objected."

"Morale of the crew is that important to you, is it?"

"Indeed."

She grinned, as they stepped out of the lift and into Seven -and truly entered another world. "Simon went all out with this one, didn't he?"

Smoke machines were pumping a steady wave of fog throughout the room, Holographic 'ghosts' seemed to follow the guests about, Simon had even reprogrammed the holographic band that currently occupied the stage. Even they were in costume.

"Oh look, there is Jariel." Kellyn tugged on Salvek's sleeve and pointed. "What is he supposed to be, exactly?"

"I am not certain."

"Where is the Captain, do you see her?"

"Not yet," Salvek scanned the room. Suddenly a hush fell over the assembled group, and even the holographic band came to a grinding halt as the doors opened again, and everyone turned to face them.

There stood Zanh Liis.

Suddenly, Kellyn felt a lot more comfortable in her own costume than she had two seconds earlier.

--------------------------------------------
Lt. Commander Lair Kellyn
Acting Chief Engineer
USS Independence NCC-90791

Posts 201-565