Post 526: Facing The Future

Stardate: 71028.1445
Title: Facing the Future
Author: Lt. Commander Lair
Scene: Seven AM- Independence
Time: Prior to the end of "With a Bow"
-----------------------------------------------------

Lair Kellyn sat at the shiny, new cafe table in Seven AM and stared past her floral patterned, china teacup and off into the distance.

Alchemy, Salvek's 'baby', had fared badly after their unscheduled trip to Yensul, and she felt horrible looking at it as it was towed into Starion's bay.

"I'm sorry, Salvek," she had sighed at the pathetic sight. Salvek, logical to the last, had simply turned to her and replied softly; "whatever has been built, can be rebuilt."

True, they had made a complete career out of pasting Starion back together with spackle and Bondo, it seemed.

Starion.

That name conjured more feelings and memories in Lair than she could afford to entertain at the moment, and so she shoved them down again internally and tried to focus on the padd before her, which outlined the next steps in returning the Alchemy to a condition worthy of flight.

She picked up the teapot that sat next to her cup and added more hot liquid to that which had gone cold, leaving the cup's contents neither appetizing nor drinkable.

"May I bring you something else, Lair Kellyn?" Fleur Le Marc had been observing the Bajoran as long as she'd been here. She'd known Kellyn before, a long time ago, on the space station where she had run the patisserie on the Plaza, and so she was surprised when Lair forewent her usual cinnamon bun with her tea. Fleur decided to bring her one now, anyway, just because she seemed so forlorn.

"I have not seen your daughter since I arrived, is she well?" Fleur placed the bun and a fresh teacup down beside Lair. Kellyn gestured for her to sit, and Fleur decided she did have a moment to take her up on the offer.

"Arie is spending the day running around the Arboretum with Sunshine. Much to the chagrin of Vedek Jariel, I'm certain."

She watched curiously as an expression, just for a second, crossed Fleur's face at the mention of Jariel. This human woman may be skilled at hiding her emotions from most of the people she met when it came to Jariel, but to Lair she was an open book- and one that was not going to have a happy ending.

"Sunshine? Who is this Sunshine?""Lt. Commander Blane's dog." Lair answered, gratefully sipping the new cup of tea and taking a bite of the pastry. "TC found him on Bajor, and the dog has become something of a therapy animal aboard ship. I've been told that he made a huge difference in helping the Yensuli children through their time here, even though it has been brief."

"So sad, what happened to them," Fleur remarked.

"You have no idea." Lair responded flatly, finishing her tea and pouring another cup.

"Do you even taste it?"

"Sorry?"

"You are always in such a hurry, Lair Kellyn. Do you even taste the tea?"

"Most days," she replied, her eyes still haunted. "Today, I can't seem to take in much about anything. But I don't have time to dwell on it, I've work to do." She rose to leave, but noticed a familiar figure standing in the doorway. "Fleur, if you'll excuse me, there's someone I need to speak to."

"Of course. Ciao, Lair Kellyn." Fleur rose as Lair did, and Kellyn headed toward the door.

"Tybelle," Kellyn hardly recognized the Andara, dressed as she was now in sleek new clothing, without all the layers and layers needed to protect her from the bitter environment on the fifth planet.

"Hello, Kellyn. I was just speaking with your Captain, and she recommended that I stop in here." Tybelle looked around, hoping to see another familiar face, but he was nowhere to be found.

"Well, let me get you something. Would you like to try some tea?"

"Whatever you recommend."

Kellyn returned a moment later and selected another table, this one by a window. Maffe stared out at her planet below, never having seen it from above before yesterday when she finally arrived aboard the Independence.

"It looks so small." She whispered, her fingers leaving a streak trailing on the window's surface. "So fragile."

"It is, in many ways," Kellyn replied, pouring the Andara's tea and placing a plate of cookies down beside it. "You are going into uncharted territory for your people, Tybelle. They will be counting on you. But you shouldn't be afraid of this, because you have never let them down before. " The Bajoran encouraged her, sincerely meaning every word. "You promised them that you would get as many of them off that planet as you could, and you did."

"There were so many I could not save."

"I know, but you did the best you could, and think of the lives those women and girls can have now. Because of you."

"I wish I could feel proud," Tybelle sniffed at the tea, then took a tentative sip. "I just feel sad."

Kellyn reached across the table and squeezed Maffe's arm reassuringly. "You'll be all right, and you'll make a good life for yourself. I promise."

"This Federation of yours. It is a daunting task, making sure that they have the best interests of my people at heart."

"They're your best shot at a secure future, Tybelle. I really believe that."

"I wish that you were going with me to Earth for the negotiations, Lair Kellyn." Maffe took another sip from her cup and held it tightly in her hands, as if relishing the warmth it produced.

Kellyn wondered if this woman would ever feel truly warm, all the way through to her bones. She tried not to laugh at the implication that she might be of some help in negotiations. "I'm no politician, Tybelle. I'd hinder the process more than help it. Trust me."

"You have helped me," Maffe replied. "I will never forget that, and someday I hope that I will be able to repay your kindness."

"Just be happy, Tybelle. That's all the repayment that I could ask for."

"I would like to ask one thing of you, before I go?" Maffe inquired shyly.

"What's that?" Lair expected she'd ask for extra clothing, or some kind of material item for the women and children to take with them.

"I'd like very much to meet your daughter."

Kellyn smiled. "Of course. I'd be honored to introduce her to such a wise woman as yourself, Andara Maffe."

----------------------------------------
Lt. Commander Lair
Acting Chief Engineer
Independence/Alchemy

Posts 201-565