Post 513: The Last Thing I Remember

Stardate: 71021.1900
Title: The Last Thing I Remember
Author: Dabin Reece
Scene: A freaking cold cave
Time: After "This is Some Rescue"
--------------------------------------
"Hello? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Drat." Dabin kicked a small rock in frustration off the pile of significantly larger rocks that seemed to have cut off their every hope of escape.

"Give it up. They must have moved on to try to find another way to help us." February said.

"Or maybe Salvek is laughing his a*s off at my demise." Reece said, half, and only half, kidding.

"Well maybe, Dabin, but I'm still down here too."

"True, and you are far too cute to be left behind." Reece cleared the dust off a somewhat flat rock and plopped himself down on it. He patted the spot next to him and Bru sat.

He wrapped his arm around her, doing what he could to ward off the cold until help could arrive. The caves at least provided shelter from the snow and the coldest of the air, but it was still damn cold none the less.

"This is some honeymoon eh? You are probably going to take this as a sign or something that we are doomed for disaster. Right? Just put me out of my misery now."

"I'm with you, Dabin, that is honeymoon enough for me."

"Even despite the broken bones, concussions, frostbite, hypothermia, hunger, orphans, widows, Yensuli military, snow, wind, ice, more snow, more ice, big rocks, collapsing cave ceilings, collapsing cave floors, collapsing cave walls, crash landed ship, obnoxious EMH, nighttime temperatures 10 degrees below 'are you freaking kidding me', the fact we probably have about an hour of breathable air left in here, and I chipped the ever living hell out of a nail during the cave in?"

"Yeah, I'm cool with it." She said calmly.

"Me too. We should renew our vows here someday." Reece felt her shivering, and could already feel the ever so slight tightening in his chest as his lungs searched for more oxygen. He resisted the urge to breath deeply, knowing they would need to conserve air as long as they could. He tightened his grip on February, as they sat silently, again to conserve air.

*Kiss me, already.* Dabin heard her voice in his head as clear as day.

"I heard you!" He exclaimed with joy.

*Then what are you waiting for?*

Dabin turned to her and kissed her. *I like this.*

*No more talking.* Bru thought back.

*I'm not talking.*

*Shush.*

February finally stopped shivering, as she and Dabin released each other from their embrace. She nestled up against his arm and closed her eyes.

*Are you going to sleep, February?* Dabin asked, surprised.

*For now, yes. If we don't make it out of here, I want that to be the last thing I remember.*

*********************************************************
Lt. Dabin Reece
Science Officer
USS Independence NCC-90791

Posts 201-565