Post 522: Walking Away

Stardate: 71026.1600
Title: Walking Away
Author: =/\= Zanh Liis
Scene: Ready Room, USS Independence
Time: As Indicated
---------------------------------------

Acting Captain's Log: Stardate 71026.16

Twenty hours have passed since my confrontation with Proconsul Tegget, and we have almost finished up current business in this sector.

Doctor Corbinsky has left us. He says he will return. I can't help but wonder what twists of fate may cause our paths to cross again in the future. He will remain a puzzle for my mind to try to piece together, in the meantime.

Engineering crews dispatched to the surface of Yensul V have managed to seal the hull breach on the Alchemy, and Salvek somehow convinced me to allow him and Lair to stay on the planet until the ship can make it up from the surface safely.

They will soon be able to use impulse engines to maneuver the Alchemy into orbit, then we can tractor her into Starion's bay and the rest of the repairs can take place there. We will need some replacement parts for the prototype ship's components, and Starfleet has dispatched the USS Persephone at maximum warp to meet up with us, with the needed components aboard.

Persephone will also take the Yensuli refugees from our ship and back to Earth- so that they can be settled there and begin to try to build new lives while their leader, Andara Maffe, negotiates their potential membership in the Federation.

I have yet to meet Maffe in person, as she has insisted on staying on the planet until everyone else transported up. But I will do so very soon.

I have advised both the Andara and Starfleet that it would be unwise to leave Yensul V unprotected while they are working out the details, and the Federation Council agreed. They made the decision to assign a number of Starfleet officers to the planet. They will also keep ships in orbit here on a rotating schedule in order to keep a secure perimeter, assuring that Tegget and his vultures from the fourth planet cannot strip Yensul V bare of its natural resources before the Federation can set up mining operations.

Starfleet has also authorized me to use my judgment to put into place whatever security measures I feel are warranted. In addition to the troops and ships I asked for, to further augment the effort I have instructed my engineers to create self-replicating sensor pods, based on the technology devised during the Dominion War for self-replicating mines. We will configure the sensor pods to keep watch over every square meter of Yensul V until a permanent Federation mining operation is in place.

Dengar and Xhian are already working with Samson and the rest of the science department on this- and we will deploy the sensor pods in a grid around the planet before we leave orbit.

I have not yet had a chance to read TC Blane's report concerning the rescue of Grace and Reece, but speaking to him is at the top of my 'to do' list.

Neither have I had the chance to talk with either Trill, as they have been off-duty and recovering from their time on the planet- though Salvek mentioned in passing that for some reason, I do need to speak with them.

I will likely be talking with Reece very shortly though, anyway, as we find ourselves facing a sudden possible vacancy in our chain of command and I may need him to step in to fill it- even if only temporarily.

In the area of other personnel changes, I must report for the record that Dr. Ashlyn Trind has been assigned by Starfleet to travel back to Earth with the Yensuli women and serve as counselor for them during the journey. After that, she will be reassigned to another location It is the nature of her work and position in Starfleet that she never stays in one place too long, and so it seems that keeping her aboard Independence for an extended period of time was not meant to be. We thank her for her service to this ship and crew and wish her well in the future.

I am told that we will be receiving a new officer for our medical staff, perhaps as soon as upon the Persephone's arrival. Details are still sketchy at this point.

I have promotions to grant.

The Independence is humming with activity- and I for one cannot wait to put Yensul behind us, and move along.

I only hope that I can put it behind me, personally. This will not simply be a matter of creating physical distance between myself and the system. I know that I will be haunted by all that has happened here, for a long time to come.

End log.


------------------------------

Liis rubbed her tired eyes, and swirled the last bit of cold coffee in the bottom of her mug. She almost drank it- something she never seemed to be able to stop herself from doing before. Even though she knew how bitter it tasted.

This time, however, she stopped mid-sip and set the cup aside. Maybe she was finally learning that some things, and people, you just have to let go.

The doorbell to the ready room chimed, and she softly asked her visitor to enter.

Lily T'Ana stood before her, in civilian clothing. The young Lieutenant had been to see Zanh privately in her quarters late last night, and informed Zanh she'd made a startling decision. Zanh had asked T'Ana to sleep on it- and said that if she still felt the same way tomorrow, to come see her again. Otherwise, she was to report for duty as scheduled.

Tomorrow was now here, and it seemed that sleep or the lack thereof had not changed the young woman's mind.

"My formal request, Captain." T'Ana said, stepping forward and handing Zanh the PADD in her hand.

"Think this through, Lieutenant," Zanh cautioned. "If you walk away, you will not be able to get back to where you are."

"I have thought it through. Permission to speak freely, Captain?"

Zanh interlaced her fingers and set her hands down on top of the desk.

"Granted."

"I thought a lot after our last conversation in this room. About how you said that I reminded you of yourself, when you were younger." Lily's eyes remained fixed on the window over Zanh's shoulder. "I don't want to become what you are, Captain." Lily realized how that sounded, and hastily added "No offense intended."

"We must each choose the path we'll walk in life. Every path has its compromises and trade-offs. I just want you to be absolutely certain before you do this, because if you walk out that door and you leave this ship now, even if you return at a later date things will not be the same. And I am not referring only to your Starfleet career when I say that."

"I know."

"Very well, then. Lily T'Ana, I hereby grant your request to be relieved of your duties aboard this ship so you may use up your accumulated shore leave. If you choose to return to Starfleet in three months' time when your leave is up, you will be reassigned elsewhere." Zanh pressed her thumb to the PADD. "Hate to lose you."

"I have to find me, Captain." Lily replied simply. "I may be lost to Independence, but I hope to be found to myself, for the first time in my life."

"I wish you peace, which ever path you choose."

"Thank you, Captain."

"Goodbye, Lily."

--------------------------------
=/\= Zanh Liis
Acting Commanding Officer
USS Independence NCC-90791

Posts 201-565